Thursday, January 27, 2011

Breathless and Pantless

So, tonight I got home and took Meander out to do his stuff. We were standing at the top of the wall along the beach, and I was saying loudly "Go right now", when something on the beach caught our attention.

Up from the waters edge, where it had been hidden by an ice bank... across the beach, and up the steps right in front of us.... small paws strumming the snow in whispers we could hear, was a beautiful, tawny brown Fox. I know how it sounded and looked because we had time to stand in awe... and even Meander stopped panting.

It ran past us and into the darkness. I said a prayer of thanks and Meander started sniffing.

Gifts.


(I'm Facebook 'friends' with Tom Skilling, the weather forecaster... and people send him photos. This came from someone who took it from their deck. What I would do to watch two Foxes play.... )

3 comments:

  1. Robin, I received your email, but there is no way to reply to you as your address is the no repy to comment one and I couldn't find one on any of your four blogs :)

    I am so touched that you are visiting and finding crumbs to relish here and there, and you are welcome to share as long as credit is given.

    Can you give me your email?

    and I had a quick look here and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing a fox is, to me, akin to a magical encounter…they simply appear where and when I least expect them. I might go a year or two without so much as a single glimpse of a red or gray fox in the wild, then spot several of each over then next few months. I've never seen two playing.

    I say your fox sighting on the beach the other evening is a sign, as good one; a portent of further magic to come.

    (P.S. I don't have your email either. I would have written you the other day but didn't want to send a too-lengthy comment. BTW, my email address is on the righthand side of the blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grizz, maybe you are right about it being a good sign. That was last night, and today (unexpectedly) I took my Jeep up to trade it in. I was nervous (you know.... all that change, doing things by yourself, being a wuss, etc.) and as I took the ramp to the expressway.... what was on a lightpole above me, but a hawk. It might even have been my hawk from work, as I was only a mile away.

    Oh, what a day I've had, but maybe you're right... one way or the other, I'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete