Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Driving an 'Old Man' car....

I love to drive and think I'm fairly good at it, but I know nothing about cars in general.

My first car was some large, old red thing I got from a friend around 1978 and sold a year later when we moved here to Chicago. I do remember it's name was Kelly and the woman who bought it from me totaled it in no time.

I bought the next one outright in 2000, a Chevy Tracker named Scrappy. I was in awe then of the differences in vehicles since I'd last owned one, even though it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles. I do remember missing the button on the left hand floorboard that let you put on your 'brights'. I still miss that feature. I have no idea why.

I know now that the 2008 Jeep didn't have many bells and whistles either. It came with a sunroof, told you what direction you were going and what temperature it was outside. It was also Sirius ready... which is something I've come to love. But, truly if you don't know what you're missing... you don't know what you're missing. And I didn't.

So, I got the Hereafter. I bought it nearly sight unseen and didn't find it's 'goodie's' until I got it home. Since it's a 2006, I'm sure there's lots more out there I'm still not aware of.... but I love the heated seats, the information center that tells you so much, working the radio from the steering wheel.... yadda, yadda, yadda.

.........

The first time I took the Hereafter in because of the Check Engine Light they gave me a Ford Focus. I couldn't figure out how to move the seat up (the bar was waaay under the seat); they showed me and I drove away. It had some cool features that the Hereafter is sorely lacking, and it was vastly more powerful than any car I've owned.... but it felt like a highschooler's car. But, I DID come to love the power, and that will be part of my next car if I, the economy and ecology are still intact.

Anyway, I took the Hereafter back today, because it seems to have bonded with that Check Engine Light. The service guy who was introducing me to my loaner said they had kept me in a Chevy and pointed vaguely at something he called an Impala. Unless it's the animal, I'm not going to recognize it.

Up drove this large, gold thing.



I'm driving an 'Old Man' car.

First off, I couldn't find out how to move up the seat. I wasn't about to ask again so I slung my lower body forward and moved on. I hold no illusions that I look cool driving that way.

Secondly, the gear shift is on the steering column. Can we say, 'Grandpa'? As I'm driving home I'm looking at the interior. For the life of me it seems like an old car, but there are some of the highlights they offer these days, which means it IS younger than God. I looked. It's a 2007.

The seats have this cream colored, smooshy fabric that reminds me of old chenille bedspreads. There are no nooks and crannies for things, unless you count a 1"x 3" dip near the door handle. And it smells like, well similar to, Old Spice. I don't know if it's something they sprayed the interior with or something the guy who drove it up was wearing, but it's nasty. And I got 'a' key, not a key and a fob to open the doors. If you want to put something in the back seat you have to first open the front drivers door with the key and then open the rest with an interior button. Don't ask me how to open the trunk.

And I looked. There is no owners manual.

.........

Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the loaner. I'm grateful they're figuring out what's wrong with the Hereafter for free. I just feel so out of place in this car, and it's humorous for someone who's so ignorant about them.
.........

It also makes me thoughtful.

I told a friend never to get an Android, or similar phone, because he will find so many ways and reasons to use it he will then 'need' one. It's happened to me.

I'm not going to get angry, as some people do, that technology is speeding faster than they can think. It's what life is these days. And I'm not going to be stubborn and turn my back on it because it requires some effort on my part to join the party.

But, what I said is so very true. If you don't know what you're missing, you can never put it into play. The trick for me, and I'm up to the task, is to remember the basics... Starlings in the trees, tricking me with fake birdsong; dogs that find a stick as exciting as a ball, winter that gives way to spring.

4 comments:

  1. All of my cars, with the exception of 1, has been old man cars. I will have no other. The one that wasn't an old man car was unbelievable. It was a Sebring. It was a little sporty and I just loved the look and feel of it. So did the theives that stoled it from me while I was on vacation. They drove that car all over St Louis, filled it with all sorts of junk including two car seats, and then abandon it. It was found by the police and impounded with all the junk inside. I came back from vacation and had to pay to free it from car jail. Then I had to drive it home. They refused to remove all the junk and wouldn't let me use the dumpster. It was gross inside and scary. I didn't know if there was drugs in there and I was terrified to open the trunk. Even though I cleaned it and had it checked over thoroughly, it lost it's appeal. I traded it for an older old man car. There is comfort in old spice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, the things that happen to you. But you can have the Old Spice. ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could drive an old man car again. The kind with the big wide comfortable seats and a v-8 engine that kicks into turbo when one needs it to. I simply can not afford the gas and up keep. The only thing I would require these days is that it had power steering. I couldn't muster the arm muscles it takes to drive a car without it. I too, miss the little button on the floor that took on and off the brights.

    I don't hate technology so much any more but I do wish it would slow down and I do blame all of the job losses on it. It reminds me of the old John Henry story. Why hire humans when one machine can do the work of thousands. Trouble is where do those thousands find work?

    We play hell around here trying to get these independent bastards to give out a loner. No real service around anymore.
    J-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolie,

    I never knew that I knew so many people who would love an 'old man' car. You would dig this one.... It's got the seats, the engine, AND.... the power steering. It's also got only 28,000 miles so I imagine that someone got it not too long before they moved on to another plane, if you get my drift.

    Maybe you should look into it.

    Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete